kahley's Tale of Friar Tuck was Re: [at-l] Tuckerizing

Farina wrote:

<<Okay...tuckerizing is when your pack is scrutinized by your hiking peers to

see what you have that can be eliminated, right?

HOW did the name come about>>

I can answer that question!  There's a link on my website for it
(http://members.aol.com/karens62  but I will copy it here.

Friar Tuck tale by Kahley

The Tale of Friar Tuck
by Kahley

For those of you who haven't been around for a while, it's time for the
annual telling of the Tuck Tale. It's mostly true...kind of and explains why
we talk about having our packs 'tucked' or 'tuckerized'. So gather 'round
kiddies......

Once upon a time, in a state far from the AT, there was a fair maid.
No pampered princess content in a pinky palace, she was a Gypsy in
both heart and soul. And she craved an adventure..to walk for 2000
miles .  She soared thru the sky to the land called Georgia where
she meant a kind man named Sir Milt who packed her on his steed and
took her to the Mountain called Springer.  Here she would find the
trail to that most holy of mountains Katahdin and she begin her hike.
The day grew old and night was nigh so Lady Gypsy and Sir Milt sought
shelter near the mountain.  On the way, they met a stranger named
Friar Tuck.  He seemed an affable sort and Sir Milt knew Gypsy would
meet many men on her journey , so her bid her much luck and ado and
left in the nite for his own home far away. The affable Tuck and our Gypsy
spent time before sleep discussing her plan to walk from the land called
Georgia to the land called Maine. "But prithee, fair maid" asked Tuck. "why
dost thou carry such a heavy load.  It will be cumbersome and cause you
injury that will slow your trip!" "But Friar" said Gypsy, "I need all these
things to keep me whilst on my way!  I have very little.  What would you have
me cast aside?" Such and invitation could not be ignored and Friar Tuck
pounced on our Gypsy's pack tossing things hither and yon. "A trowel..use
your foot.  A comb....use your fingers.  Your tent has a floor..why carry a
second!"  "Bottles and bits were flung far and wide until only her underwear
remained inside. "No" cried our Gypsy fit to be tied. One pair" said the
Friar as he cast them aside.

When her pack had been plundered he glanced at maid Gypsy. She started to
giggle. He thought, "is she tipsy?" She laughed at the pile that she no
longer needed and thanked the kind Tuck. But the gleam in her eye said she
kept a secret. As dawn broke our Gypsy and Tuck parted ways.  Her steps were
lighter and her heart even more.  She had hidden her treasure from the
affable Friar.  Her teensy little deodorant was safe. Off she went to walk
2000 miles ....a trip under construction as this tale is told. So when madmen
and women go hiking to Maine, the tale is retold so we remember his name.
Kind Tuck....Wise Tuck left her only one pair.

And we wonder still, what he did with her spares.

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---