[at-l] Possible Virus?

In a message dated 12/13/2001 2:01:10 PM Eastern Standard Time, ryan@hack.ne=
t=20
writes:

> Most versions of outlook default to culling address book entries from
> any message they see, so that's where these unknowns come from.
>=20

A friend forwarded this to me yesterday and I'm not sure if it actually=20
works, but it sounds good!  : )

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Subject: How to avoid sending virus to other from your address book.

As you may know, if/when a worm virus gets into your computer it heads=20
straight for your email address book and sends itself to everyone in there,=20
thus infecting all your friends and associates. This trick won't keep the=20
virus from getting into your computer, but it will stop it from using your=20
address book to spread further, and it will alert you to the fact that the=20
worm has gotten into your system.

Here's what you do:

First, open your address book and click on "new contact" just as you would d=
o=20
if you were adding a new friend to your list of email addresses.=A0 In the=20
window where you would type your friend's first name, type in !000 (that's a=
n=20
exclamation mark followed by 3 zeros).

In the window below where it prompts you to enter the new email address, typ=
e=20
in WormAlert.=A0 Then complete everything by clicking OK, enter, add, etc.=
=A0=20

Now, here's what you've done and why it works: the "name" !000 will be place=
d=20
at the top of your address book as entry #1. This will be where the worm wil=
l=20
start in an effort to send itself to all your friends. But when it tries to=20
send itself to !000, it will be undeliverable because of the phony email=20
address you entered (WormAlert). If the first attempt fails (which it will=20
because of the phony address), the worm goes no further and your friends wil=
l=20
not be infected.

Here's the second great advantage of this method: if an email cannot be=20
delivered, you will be notified of this in your In Box almost immediately.=20
Hence, if you ever get an email telling you that an email addressed to=20
WormAlert could not be delivered, you know right away that you have the worm=
=20
virus in your system. You can then take steps to get rid of it!

Pretty slick huh?

If everybody you know does this then you needn't ever worry about opening=20
mail from friends. Pass this on to all your friends.

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---