[at-l] A.N.W.R. VOTE - conservation issue - not trail

> Heh what a joker! You need to look at the energy losses involved in
> using batteries and the actual energy densities that they can store. Why
> do you think there are no good electrical cars, its because batteries
> are so poor at storing energy and also wear out in short times. To store
> energy power companies have been looking at methods like pumping water
> back behind dams during the day and letting it run back out at night.
> But you lose half of the power you produce that way.

	I'm not being funny. During times when electricity production exceeds
current use, you store the excess power. During periods of lower
production, the batteries can supplement the demand. Sure you lose
something, but if you don't store the energy, you'd lose it all.

> Right, well you could run a fire station off a manure gas generator too.
> When the politicians tell an engineer to make that station run off solar
> NO matter what the expense they will do it. But if your electrical bill
> jumped by 300% you probably wouldn't be so happy. And I bet that station
> runs off the electrical grid at night and during periods of bad weather.

	It's one example. There's any number of others, just here in my
hometown. I'm sure areas with more favorable weather can provide even
more.

	As for the station using the electrical grid during non-peak generation
periods, you need not bet. I said it did. The solar panels are intended
to /supplement/ the power grid. Are you unclear on my meaning?

> The studies that I have seen show no damage to wildlife populations
> around the Prudhoe bay site. That site uses much older technology. Leaks
> have not caused more than local damage so far as I know.

	Well, that's certainly good enough for me. But perhaps you could
actually provide some sources for your information for the more
skeptical folks on the list?

> I was just responding to the comment about someone's grandchildren not
> being able to use the artic. But I don't think that this development
> will cause the critters up there any trouble at all.

> Bryan

	You didn't bother looking at the link, from the U.S. Fish & Wildlife
Service, that I provided did you? It addressed the potential damage to
the 'critters'. Here it is again -

		http://www.r7.fws.gov/nwr/arctic/issues1.html

	Take a look this time.

	Ron

	By the way - Rami, many thanks for posting your alert. It encouraged me
to research the issue more deeply than I had done up to now, and
convinced me just how absurd the planned drilling is. Perhaps some
others will also take a look, and decide the same.

--

yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com