Re[4]: [at-l] A.N.W.R. VOTE - conservation issue - not trail

Many years ago, before I became older and wiser, i.e. prior to Jimmy Carter's
presidency, I asked a forester for Scott Paper Co. (then owner of a million
acres in Maine) what 4-wheel drive pickup the company bought. He replied, "we
don't buy any four-wheel drives. They cost too much for the tiny amount of time
they are really needed. Most pick up don't drive more than 5 miles a year where
four-wheel drive is really needed."

 So I've managed to survive most years since then, though I did once own a
 four-wheel drive Dodge pickup, mostly because the owner wanted to get rid of it
 for half what it was worth.

 It's primary value? Once a year when I have to clear blow downs on the three
 miles of the AT system I maintain, my Dodge got me a mile closer to the
 trailhead. That truck cost $3,000. I drove it 100,000 miles and sold it to the
 insurance company when some one ran into me for $1,900. A wonderful vehicle.

 Regardless, I haven't really been tempted to replace it. How much extra in
 capital costs and gasoline costs should I invest to save a two mile round trip
 walk with a chain saw, once a year.

 I have a brother who feels differently. He buys a $40,000 truck every two
 years. "I want something reliable," he proclaims. (The only time a vehicle has
 failed to get me where I want to be was when his $40,000 investment conked out
 while crossing a stream and we had to walk 18 miles to civilization.)

 Once he took his pickup a mile up the AT towards Gulf Hagas, illegally.
 "There," he proclaimed. "No ordinary car could do that!"

 I said nothing. I just wanted to get on the trail before anyone noticed I was
 in a vehicle with an irresponsible and illegal driver.

 So we walked the Gulf, about 10 hours, took a lot of pictures, and caught a few
 trout. When we returned to the truck, there was a Ford Thunderbird sitting
 along side it.

 Weary