[at-l] Veteran's Day

In a message dated 11/14/2001 5:53:14 AM Pacific Standard Time,
rbenhameda@home.com writes:

We "created" the Taliban as it exists today during the 20 yrs. that the
U.S.S.R. was at war with Afghanistan in an effort to "help" preserve the
world against the communist threat.

We picked the lesser of two evils.  Now ten years later people look back with
20-20 hindsight and say we have done wrong.  We done what we done at the time
with the best of intentions.  You forget the drain of Afghanistan quickened
the fall of the Soviets.  The price we pay today for that to happen is
minuscule compared to what may have been necessary had we not supported the
mujahedin.
     As is true all thru history decisions are made at the highest levels for
many reasons.  I like to think these reasons are made with the betterment of
all at heart.  Because we live in this country you are allowed to think what
you will.  Some think we should look at all things as they effect the trail.
Windmills are an eyesore on the landscape.  I think the dead bodies of my
compatriots laying in the sands of the Middle east is more of an affront to
my sensibilities.  Every gallon of gasoline we burn will be paid for by the
blood of someone at some future time.  If windmills in my back yard will
postpone this then start building.  Someday some soldier will look back and
say "If people had been more responsible we would not be here."

Point # 2...I am a veteran.  The decision makers once decided to leave me
behind.  I still believe the decision was made with the best of intentions.
I don't expect the leaders to make decisions that will have no adverse effect
on no one now or in the future.  I expect them to make the best decision they
can with the information they have available.

Point #3 ... When they start sending bodies back from the middle east go to
the funeral near you.  Tell his Mother how much you enjoyed your view from
Saddleback.

Point # 4 ...This discussion started on Veterans Day.  I thought how could
people argue about such things on a day such as this.  I was raised that you
served your country and you respected those that did likewise.  We still
celebrate VJ day in my hometown.  My grandmother rode in the front of the
parade each year to represent her son that fell in WW2.  My mother rode
behind her representing my brother killed in Vietnam.  They once drove an
empty car for me when I was a guest of the Khmer Rouge in Phnom Penh.  Every
year on Memorial Day they have an honor guard ceremony on my brothers grave.
The honor my family receives 30 years after the fact suits me just fine.  My
mother is proud of the contributions her brother and sons made in the defense
of justice.  Canadians aint got shit on my people.

Clyde
If America didn't feed em when they were small they couldn't grow up to hate
us.
I choose to feed em anyway.

multipart/alternative
  text/html