itb ? was Re: [at-l] Doctor's Orders

--- Dave Hicks <daveh@psknet.com> wrote:
> The "lean against a tree at about a 45* angle with one leg bent, or
> off the ground, and the leg being stretched extended back, with
the heel as near the ground as I can get it"
### Great for Achilles and calf...

> The " stand on one leg, put the heel of foot on the leg to be
> stretch center of that side's @$$ cheek, and pull the toes up
toward the waist."
### Great for quads.

> I stretch before hiking, and again about an half hour after
> starting.
### Smart.

> Last month I got to stretching whenever I knew I was in for a long
> downhill and when the tightening began to be noticeable.
### Smart, too.

### If the tightening is around your knee, on the outside, and just
above (75%) or just below (25%), it may be that your quads are too
big for your britches. (OOops.) It may be
http://www.clark.net/pub/pribut/spitb.html

Pribut's page(s) rank pretty high, but I also came across this
majorly revamped site:
http://www.sover.net/~sstryker/itbsmain.htm which has the reference
to the best stretch I know of (ymWv)
http://rice.edu/~jenky/sports/itband.html

You'll see the Cho-Pat strap (and related products) mentioned here
and there -- they were of no help to me, though I know smart (and
fast!) runners who swear by 'em. But consistent and hardy stretching
of warm muscles has kept me running (and NSAID-free) for the almost 5
years I've been running "seriously." And yes, glucosamine is my
friend, and yes, glucosamine will help insure the sinovial fluid that
your tendons run through is in sufficient supply -- short supply will
give the same sort of symptoms you describe. Lastly, as a BTW, you
didn't mention NSAIDS but know that they scavenge bio-available water
when they're circulating, so if your iritation stemmed from low
hydration, taking a run of NSAIDS will complete a nasty cycle of
dehydration-irritation-NSAID-dehydration-blah-blah-blah.

So the question would be.... where's your knee hurt? And if it hurts
outside and above the knee, when you do the (Rice U.) stretch, do you
feel it in you hip/lower back?

Best!
Ohmyachin'Toe

=====