[at-l] "AT-List mostly doesn't talk about... issues because...."

Weary, This is how it works:  If you have a political "issue" you want to
bring to the attention of the list, post the details under subject line of
"Trail Issue: (Whatever it concerns) and let it go.  Those who are disposed
will read it and act on it as their philosophy inclines.

The key phrases here are "bring to the attention of the list" and "let it
go".  AT-L was not begun as a forum for political issues (though they are
sometimes raised) and the majority of list members don't hop on their
computers at the end of the day eager to have their stress level raised by
yet another AT crisis, call to arms or whatever.  They want to slip into a
relaxed mode of camaraderie with fellow hikers talking about things that
remind them of their last hike or inspire them towards their next
hike.  Call it escapism if that helps you feel better about your own
attitude.  I call it balancing the other stresses in my life.

As I've said before, I'm sorry that WF has closed his forum in protest over
the outcome of the election (I didn't like the outcome either but I didn't
go sit in a corner and pout) and deprived you of your place to debate these
things.  The fact is that AT-L is a different list with a different
constituency and you don't have the same audience you had on ATML so... you
shouldn't continue to be surprised that many here are not receptive to your
attempts to shame the list into emulating ATML.

Personally I admire your political savvy, the work you have done for the AT
in the past and your willingness to live in a constant state of being 'on
guard' but I (and based on responses to some of your posts I assume others
on the list) can't live like that.  It's bad for my blood pressure and
stress level among other things.  I have to compartmentalize those things
and deal with them in set blocks of time so as to avoid being continually
stressed out and angry.

So I repeat, post your 'issues', 'alerts' or whatever you wish to call them
in a neutral way and let them go.  Please don't badger the list (including
me) about our failure to rise to your level of activism.  I do what I
do.  I can't be you.  It's hard enough just being me.

Peace,
sAunTerer