[at-l] More speific question regarding winter hiking

Katahdin is open in the fall until rangers think snow and ice conditions on the
mountain make conditions unsafe for typical hikers. That generally is sometime
between October 15 and November 15, though the mountain is closed periodically
during every month during serious storm events.

 Camping in the park ends on October 15, but hikers can still climb the mountain
 on "good" days until conditions in the opinion of rangers make it unsafe.
 However, after October 15, logistics become very difficult. Long distance
 hikers have to arrange rides from Abol Bridge to the base of the mountain to
 climb and then back to Abol, since very few can manage a 30 mile round trip
 between Abol and the summit and back to Abol.

 Logistics are also difficult during the crush of thru hikers between September
 15 or so and Oct. 15, since there are only 12 "thru hiker" spots in the park.
 For the first time the park, this year, is enforcing these regulations. If you
 arrive and there are no spaces left, you have to leave, somehow, and arrange to
 return another day.

 To add to the confusion, the park reopens for camping and climbing once winter
 hits. The last time I checked, "winter" began on Jan. 1. But I notice that some
 parties manage to get winter permits before then. So technically, there is no
 winter "closing." However, once "winter" conditions are proclaimed, the rules
 become much more stringent. Again, the last time I checked the rules required a
 minimum party size of four, a backup team for rescue in case of problems, and
 evidence of experience in high mountain winter conditions by the leader and
 team members.

 By the way, the "rules" seem to be in a state of flux. The above is my
 information as to current procedures. But the park is a political organization
 ruled by elected or appointed politicians. It was Gov. Baxter's fatal mistake
 when he bought the land and gave it to the state as a "forever wild" park, that
 he chose to give management responsibility to those appointed to three
 political posts, the Forest Commissioner,(now the director of the Bureau of
 Forestry) the Attorney General and the Commissioner of Inland Fisheries and
 Wildlife. All three are posts that tend to be filled by career politicians, or
 by professionals who manage to win the favor of career politicians.

 The rules tend to change with the political winds.

 My apologies to those who think such political matters are "boring, boring
 boring," but such matters from time to time effect hiking on the Appalachian
 Trail.

 Weary