[at-l] Plans --- was A different kind of Gear List

In a message dated 9/17/2001 10:22:27 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
spiriteagle99@hotmail.com writes:

> ?  How about everyone tell us about what hiking you're
> planning for the next year - whether it involves thruhiking or not.

CDT, but you already knew that!

I had three knocks on the door today.  One was the exterminator, one was a
friend and one was the UPS guy with the proof to Bob Julyan's "official" New
Mexico Continental Divide Trail guidebook.  Westcliffe Publishers kindly sent
me a one sided full color copy of the book for free with the stipulation I
buy the book when it comes out in December.  This is great, I can leave the
intact book at home and use the text and maps from the copy I need on the
trail.

I've watched some videos and journals (thanks to Jim and Ginny) and read
various books about the trail, but this is the first time I've read or seen
an actual guidebook.  I'm psyched!

What I didn't know before today is that the CDT began as a dream by an 87
year old Benton MacKaye (in 1966) and that "he" proposed the trail to
Congress, which authorized a study under the National Trails System Act.

More to follow........

Sly

multipart/alternative
  text/html