[at-l] "Behave" For The Party

In a message dated 9/13/01 10:10:03 AM, rhymworm@mindspring.com writes:

<< Pledge:

When I post on AT-L:

* I will post practical advice about backpacking, hiking, and the A.T.
* I will post my feelings and thoughts about those subjects and topics
closely related to them.
* I will chat about fun stuff, when I feel like it.
* If I post about trail issues, it will be about my own feelings and
opinions, and not about the views and comments of others, even those who
insult me and characterize my own postings.
* If attacked I will not reply.
* When I read something I disagree with, I will not respond by quoting other
listers or arguing with them in back-and-forth postings.
* I will try to keep the tone of my posts good-humored and non-argumentative.

Anyone else?

--Rhymin' Worm

    *** Of course there is no one who would argue this- all posters should
always behave on any list and act civil.

    I would believe there were at least a few other silent members on this
list who don't want to "stir the pot" by responding with their real feelings
on this. This is a baited proposition. It cleverly presumes that anyone who
has a further, more sophisticated view on this is against what you are
proposing.

    My problem with this is that it is going too far and being used as an
ostensible thought filter in the guise of site civility. There is only so
much that a call for behavior has a right to ask. This call, in my mind, is
asking for more than just civil posts. After all, who could argue if such a
decent, conscientious, and politically correct smothering blanket was used to
remove "activist" type topics others are trying to dominate off the List
through this kind of pressure.

    I'm sure this will be seen as an inappropriate, "long winded", "negative"
example of what is being addressed - I see it as speaking my mind amongst
fellow ATer's. I never saw the AT as a place where a warm sense of community
meant I had to surrender either my innermost sense of truth, or best view of
the Trail. What you are arguing is probably not a human reality. People will
always have differences and get out of shape pursuing them when interacting
with other normal human beings. Maybe this "call for site peace" is just
another form of the "escapism" Walt mentions? To me it looks like an excuse
to isolate and segregate a segment of Trail community in order to drive them
off. Sorry...