[at-l] LNT was AT-L And The AT

Fingerboard shelter is one of those that is easily accessible to non
backpackers.  Every time I have stayed there, I have felt the need to
"gently" give an LNT class.  One Saturday night about 10PM about 8 young
adults (for lack of a better term) showed up with a beer ball, some
blankets and snack food.  The parking lot a Tiorati is close enough for
even the laziest.  many years ago my favorite shelter in the park was at
Island Pond on the AT.  It was the William Brien Memorial shelter.  After
it was torn down, Letterrock Shelter was renamed for Wm. Brien.  Someone
at park HQ decided that Island Pond was underutilized so they paved the
fire road in from Arden Valley Road.  After that, every time I arrived at
the shelter there were six inches of beer cans and the pump was usually
broken by mid May.  Finally, to stop the abuse the shelter was torn down
and the AT was for a few years rerouted around the other side of the pond.
Rich