Re[2]: [at-l] AT-L And The AT

At 12:21 PM 9/4/01 -0400, Bob Cummings wrote:
>"...Some folks want to hear about there friend weekend hike, or maybe trail
>reports and about gear, that's cool, but it doesn't make the list friendly.
>It just makes the list about those things..."
>
>Clifford R. Haynes has sent us some very wise advice. We should read it
>and ponder what he is saying. He should also send us more stories about
>the Maine woods, even those that are only 20 percent about the AT. That's
>probably a better percentage than I manage.
>
>Weary

Well, that's what the Bio posts were about.  A chance to get to know the
folks you're talking to a little better, to better understand where they
are coming from.  I think that what Kahley is talking about is attitude,
not subject matter.  It's quite possible to discuss weighty matters on AT-L
as long as you respect the opinions of the others on the list.

Arguing or bashing other listers for failing to agree isn't
discussion.  Discussion involves sharing of the facts that we base our
opinions on.  I didn't see a whole lot of "this is the way I see it and
here are the reasons why" in what went on.  I did see a lot of passion and
"this is the right way because I said so and all who disagree with me will
pay" (oops: that last bit is from an old Steppenwolf song).  Anyway,  when
other equally strong and passionate personalities read those posts they
said "oh yeah!" and then the dialog sunk to name calling.

Bottom line: If you want to bring up a weighty matter, do it, but think
about the attitude or tone of the post before you hit send.  If the weighty
matter is accompanied by a potshot at one or more of the folks you're
talking to, it's sure to get lost in the translation.  The insult is all
that will get read/responded to.  Subject matter by itself is
neutral.  It's the potshots that aren't friendly.

sAunTerer