[at-l] AT-L And The AT

Unfortunately it isn't so much the discussion of a difficult issue that is
the problem. Generally at least in the last year and a half that I half that
I have been paying much attention to the list, it's the folks defending the
list or the folks defending one of the folks that are involved in the
discussion that are the problem. Unfortunately these folks often don't
address the issue but instead attack one of the individuals involved in the
discussion. This in the past has tended to confuse the discussion to the
point where folks trying to discuss the issue have to go back and read what
those actually involved in the discussion while ignoring the distractions to
determine what was actually said as opposed to what a defender thought  was
said or accused them of saying.

Some folks want to hear about there friend weekend hike, or maybe trail
reports and about gear, that's cool, but it doesn't make the list friendly.
It just makes the list about those things.
For example a couple of weeks a go Rosie and I too 5 scouts(a patrol) on a 5
day outing, spent the first panning for gold, then 3 days of bushwhacking
doing map and compass work, cut the trail east of Sabbath Day pond  and
hikes out to the trail head on RT 17. We had a great time say a bunch of
game , including watching mama bear and her cub in a berry  patch for almost
an hour before we moved along leavening them undisturbed. Now is suppose I
could have written a post about it, but for one thing it's only 20%  AT
related. Now maybe a few folks from Maine on the list may have been
interested, but to many it would probably have been of no interest.
Especially since after over a year on the list noone knows who I am or
anything about me.
My posting on the trip wouldn't make the list friendly, in fact it may have
even drawn criticism of LNT practices. Seems to me for a list to be friendly
the folks on the list have to offer the hand of friendship once in a while.
Seems to me if folks want a friendly list than why not do something about
it. Rather then complain or pine for the old days offer your hand in
friendship. Pick someone and offer to get to know them a little, have a
friendly exchange. After all if you meet someone on the trail do you walk up
and say " GORP is only good if it has dice figs in it." , I doubt it, more
than likely you say hello, and gab for a while before you start to discuss
the what makes good GORP.
So for the folks that don't think the list is friendly anymore or isn't
friendly enough I offer a challenge, Give it a try, offer your cyber hand in
friendship, heck you could even really take the plunge and offer you hand to
someone the list doesn't like. You just might be surprised, they could be a
nice person.
Friends can have a discussion and never agree on an an issue, but can agree
to disagree and remain friends.