[at-l] Psychology 101

In a message dated 8/13/01 10:38:32 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
elexious48@home.com writes:

> Hey Saunterer
>
> To be so glad that you missed the post, I see that you have reconstituted
> the entire thing somehow..  Why are you kind of glad?  You have the entire
> post now..  Hello wannabe!

Too bad you missed the fact that Russ wrote that post, not sAunTerer.  Kind
of like you missed the fact that *my* post was directed towards someone else,
not you - unless you are just pretending to be two different people on the
list - and that's not the style of the Bucky I know.  He's never been afraid
to sign his real name to his opinions, popular or not.  In fact, because he
doesn't attack people the way some recent additions to the list have, even
his unpopular opinions don't generate the same type of discord on this list
than said recent additions.  And since he has been around for many years, and
we have disagreed many times, agreed at others, usually without hostilities,
I think he probably had a better idea of what I was saying.  You, on the
other hand, put words in my mouth and characterized my truely sincere
question about why someone would stay around if they feel such contempt for
it so much as condescending.  I won't go into the name calling thing.  Some
people can't feel good about themselves unless they put others down - I don't
hate those types of people, I pity them.  I was going to ignore this whole
thing, with the exception of my response to you earlier.  I think I managed
to answer a vile email with some semblance of civility and restraint.  I can
only ask that you try to do likewise.  I was going to ignore it, that is,
until your most recent post.  Someone who actually *knows* me was appalled by
what you wrote, so you immediately attacked them too.  "hello, wannabe"?
Have you ever attended an ALDHA gathering?  Experienced the emotion when at
the end of the roll call of classes, they ask the future thru hikers to stand
up, the "wannabes".  Except when THEY say it, they mean it as a compliment,
and many people get tears in their eyes, as the wannabe themselves, or a
former thru hiker who remembers what it was like to start out as one, and
then ultimately accomplished their dream.

I think you'd do much better to aim your cruel attacks on people you know, so
you aren't actually talking about someone you know nothing about.  What you
wrote about me is so patently untrue - and so many people on this list know
me, in real life - that all you accomplished was making yourself look like
the mindless idiot you accused me of being.  Notice I didn't CALL you that -
I said it made you LOOK that way.  I don't know you well enough to make
comments on your intelligence - I have only your words to go by to figure out
that you believe you are better (presumably because you've thru hiked??) than
those of us who haven't thru hiked.  And apparently my strong desire to help
my hiker friends, whether I've met them or not, makes me a groupie in your
eyes.

Yes, there are a lot of thru hikers on this list - although I'd have to
disagree with your statement that MOST of them are.  I don't think any
thruhiker I've ever met would call me a groupie just because I haven't thru
hiked.  If that's the case, there are a WHOLE LOT of groupies here (and us
groupies aren't the only ones who like wine<g>).  And your response to Russ
(even though you thought it was to sAunTerer) showed that it isn't just ME
you feel contempt for, it is all wannabes.

I don't like a lot of what RnR has said about us.  But *nothing*, bar
*nothing*, that he has said has come close to what you said - which was that
wannabe is a dirty word, and we have no right here on this list if we haven't
thruhiked.  I can't and won't speak for the list - and you won't even get
kicked off for saying the things you did - but I can speak for myself on this
one.  I'd rather have RnR hanging around telling us we're not serious about
the Trail MUCH MORE than I like knowing someone out there thinks that being a
thru hiker makes them superior to someone who is not a thru hiker.

All I can say is - did you really thru hike?  Because I can't imagine that
thru hiking didn't change your life in some way, and the majority of thru
hikers I've met have learned MORE tolerance and respect for people on the
Trail, not less, as you obviously did, assuming you hiked.

That's all I have to say on that subject - and if you wish to reply privately
with some more cussing and contempt, please feel free.  Just keep it off the
list.  Personal attacks should in general be made personally - unless of
course you're just looking for attention.  In that case, I suppose you'll
feel the need to reply here.  I, on the other hand, am going to start
deleting all posts with this subject matter, and encourage everyone else to
do the same.  I only posted this publicly because of your unwarranted attack
on sAunTerer, which was actually on a very good friend of mine.

You might not get this concept - but there are a LOT of friends on this list
- and while you were knocking Russ and I for being wannabes, you were in
actuality insulting the majority of the list, since they are wannabes also.

Sorry so long - but like Russ, I defend my friends.

The (mindless, stupid and groupie) Redhead

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---