Re[2]: [at-l] Maine land buyout

In a message dated 8/13/01 10:46:27 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
spiriteagle99@hotmail.com writes:

<< Yep - and if we keep on locking up land (i.e. - subtracting it from the
 available resource pool), then sooner or later there's nothing left to log -
 so lumber becomes either too expensive for the average bear or the lumber
 companies go out of business.  In either case, the construction industry
 goes belly-up, the housing market (among others) goes into the middens and
 we're back to 1929 and another depression. >>

     This is an educated analysis of the economic cycle in which the Trail
dangles, but what befuddles me about your angle, Jim, is that I am left with
the taste that you somehow approve of these reasons. To me it only proves our
present economic machine to be at direct odds with nature.

    The positive thing emerging from your post is a clear outline of the
hopelessness towards the preservation of wild lands the average economic
model entails. If you read MacKaye, you will see this was the motivating idea
behind the project whose name is included in the title of this list.

    I would volunteer to weather a depression if it meant the sure track
inevitability of countryside development was curtailed. * But somehow, in my
crazy mind I think there is a better solution out there we haven't tried yet
short of living up to the comfortable scenario of land rapers. I would never
argue the case that disrupting the clear track towards total countryside
development is somehow morally wrong.

    People who desire to save the earth from being stripped should never be
portrayed as persons out of touch with economic reality. The more pertinent
reality here is the long term health of nature, and therefore us.

    I see a failure to follow through in your thinking. You see, if that land
isn't locked up the healthy and robust market (present day) will develop into
those lands anyway, making it happen one way or another. Whether chip or
board the profits from those lands will have to be invested and this
investment usually occurs in the form of sprawl. That foreign company was
driven to sell off for maximum profit in a strong market, so your bringing
the threat of depression into this isn't exactly relevant. A strong market
also creates more demand for second homes in guess where? "Locking up" land
becomes sensible at this point.

    I would rather see a society determined to do the right thing and take
the burden than knuckle under to forced compromises they don't endorse. But
sheep probably like a calm flock. Nobody can argue the Bush administration
hasn't taken a clear stand against environmental progress.

  Why can't we do that in America? Save the land and work out the details
later. The future will see us as an enlightened generation. What is the
reason why we can't just go ahead and do it?

    The reason MacKaye was a genius is because he put the Trail there for us
to ask this question from. "Wilderness mechanism". People should never fear
evolution.