[at-l] dehydrating pickles

> >Sweet or dill?  ;-)  Seriously, I'm not an expert
> on dehydrating
> things but
> >I've never heard of dehydrated pickles.
>
> Well, I've dehydrated olives and spinach, but...
> I have reservations about warm, soggy, reconstituted
> pickles...
> ;-p  Perhaps we should ask Schuyler (lister with a
> recent trail
> name of Pickles).
>
> Give Me Chocolate

heh heh heh I've been catching up on the digests from
the weekend.  You knew'd I'd respond to this sooner or
later though...  ;-)

I did try dehydrating a pickle chip before my hike
last year.  I just ate it as was, didn't re-hydrate
it.  It was basically a little salt chip.  I didn't
taste any of the vinegar taste (They were dill chips)
I expected.  Now remember, I did _not_ rehydrate it.
Just ate it dry.

Each time I could find them last year, I would buy a
jar of dills (chips, spears, baby dills, whole dills),
drain the juice out, and double ziploc the pickles.
They'd keep just fine for a few days, and wouldn't be
_that_ heavy.

Now pickled okra.  mmmmmmm that's some good stuff.
They'd get squished in my food bag easier than
standard cucumber pickles would, though.  So, I
usually ate the entire jar's worth the first night out
of town.

mmmmmmmmmmm I'm getting a hankering for some pickles
just thinking about them.  Gonna have to go by the
grocery store on the way home tonight now...

On a really positive note:  My fat boy hip belt has
finally arrived.  (Note - if you keep eating _off_ of
the trail like you did _on_ the trail, you _will_ gain
the 40 pounds that you lost back.  Plus 10 more.
Trust me, I know from experience...)  So, I just need
a free weekend to get back in the woods.  hmmm no, not
this weekend, helping a friend move, next weekend is a
party at a friends' that I can't miss.  The next
weekend is a really good friend's wedding.  The next
weekend is *gasp* free for now...  Now, if I can just
keep it that way until then...

=====
--
Schuyler Stultz