JEEP was RE: [at-l] EVERYBODY: This land is your land . . .

At 06:35 PM 8/4/01 -0600, Paul Magnanti wrote:

>JEEP?  (Just Empty Every Pocket. :-)  )
>

>I used to own an '87 Jeep (aka The Blue Beast), my two buddies owned an '83
>and an '85.  We used to take turns giving each other rides to our mechanic.

Ha!!!! so it wasn't just me.  Around '73, I had a Jeep Jeepster.....really
a true
convertible Jeep.....COOL vehicle.  At that time I also owned a 63 Corvair.....
also a very cool thing.  Why would one person need to have two cars?
Cause one of them was a Jeep!

Every couple weeks, the Jeep would get sick and I got tired of finding
a ride from and two the shop.  Soooo...I just kept the Corvair at the shop,
and when the Jeep went in to get fixed what ever broke that week, I just
swapped out my gear and was on my way....When the Jeep was better, I
moved my gear back to the Jeep and parked the 'Vair.

While cool, the Jeep was a pain in the pocket but it died saving my life.
Some kid in an old Olds clipped a couple walkers on a mountain road,
swerved across center and hit me almost head on.  If I'd been driving
something less solid, I'd probably be dead so it was worth every penny
I pumped into it.

BTW....when the insurance settlement came in, I ordered a new Jeep.
Back then it was a real trip!  When I thought I had the big decisions behind
me. like model and color, the salesman asked, "would you like doors with that?
And how about seats?  It comes with two, would you like more?  And what
were you thinking of in a roof?"  What a hoot!  Something went wrong with
the company at that time and there was a serious delay in delivery.  After
six months with no Jeep in sight, I cancelled the order and bought 12 acres
and a home instead.

Definitely a turning point....

multipart/mixed
---