[at-l] Backpacks, the good, the bad, the useless...?

Joni,

Well I waited to read ALL of the other posts before chiming in with my two
cents...

You got a lot of good advice, and if you don't mind, I will sum it up a
little:

1) Try before you buy; this is probably the most important point. A poorly
fitting pack will haunt you forever. It can even end your hike, turn you off
to hiking in general or worst of all, send you to the hospital.

2) Go to an outfitter. Find a pack you like that is under 4 lbs (there is
absolutely NO need for a heavier pack) and around 4000 cubic inches in
capacity. My winter mountaineering pack meets these criteria and carries 60
pounds comfortably, not that you should EVER carry 60 pounds. Put 30 to 35
pounds of weight in the pack and carry it around the store for at least an
hour. If it is uncomfortable try readjusting it or try a different pack.
Come back later and do it again or ask to rent the pack for a weekend and go
for a day hike with it fully loaded.

3) Don't be afraid to shop for a better deal once you find the right pack,
but do think of the people at the outfitter who helped you out (if they
did). The only items that I would normally not consider buying online are
packs and boots, and by the way, everything I just said applies to boots
too!

Remember, if all else fails, Walasi-Yi is only three or four days from the
start, you can always change!

Good Luck,

Lee I Joe