[at-l] Backpacks, the good, the bad, the useless...?

 Joni, you've rec'd a ton of good advice.  Ebay is probably not the best way to go.  There are tons of
packs out there.  Internal/external, heavy/light...  I tried to scrimp & save by using a 10 year old
Camp Trails external frame pack.  It lasted just over 30 miles and required total replacement at the
Walasi-Yi Otfitters in Neels Gap, GA.  Since I did not plan on spending an extra $300 in my
budget, it was a difficult decision, but one I'll never regret.  My new pack made all the difference.
Walking upright and being able to look around really adds to your enjoyment out on the trail.
I noticed that of all the different packs out there, Osprey tends to have a tremendously loyal
following.  Those hikers that I met that had Osprey packs just loved 'em.  They are not cheap,
but they are durable, and can fit like a glove.  I used a Dana Design Glacier (BIG pack), and that
worked for me.   By the way, although I make a nice
salary, am married with kids, I asked a relative for help with my pack.  My Bro-in-Law had
offered to help me financially.  I reluctantly took him up on it (it's a pride thang), and was not
disappointed.  That meant more Ben & Jerry's for me down the trail.  Moral of the story? You might
 find that a lovedone would be willing to help you out as well... Whatever your decision, best of luck
 to you.
Little Bear