[at-l] more on the same

Hey (NC for hello)
I got back this morning and read the weekend posts, I
noticed that the dialog that has taken place is no
different than the dialog I have heard for years in
forums concerning women in the workplace.  The clothes
issue even resurrected its ugly head.  As if men have
such a lack of control over their impulses that the
sight of a women in a pair of shorts (or anything else
they deem provocative) cause then to lose the maturity
to recognize the difference between desire and action.
The experiences reported on the trails merely reflects
what women face off trail.  The trail is not a high
crime area, but it can be isolated at times from help.
My advice was to a young inexperienced hiker.  It was
never intended to be used the rule for all female
hikers.  The reality is predators swoop where they
perceive a weakness.  It doesn't really matter if that
perception is valid.  My advise perhaps did not
solicit the same reaction from most of the women,
because we have heard it before in other situations.
Just like in our everyday lives, bad people don't
always give you the creeps, sometimes they are very
charming.   As I stated from the beginning, 99% of the
time there are no worries beyond blisters, bad food
and an unexpected downpour.
My friend was not wearing provocative clothing.  It
was cold and she was dressed appropriately.  She was
not near a road, she was off trail.  But this is
really irrelevant.  She was three days overdue.  The
police refused to act for 48 hours.  We knew the
general area she was hiking, but she had the habit of
just taking off where ever wanderlust tempted her.  We
did not know where she had been, if she had ventured
into town or who she had met along the way, things
that seemed so unimportant before.  We did not expect
to hear from her until she returned to work.  NOW I
wish she had dropped a note along the way or made a
phone call every now and then ie: checked in.  Now I
wish she had said this is where I am planning on
being, or even I met this guy on the trail, in town...
When I go back packing now, I let someone know where I
will be and when I intend to be back.  I give a holler
if my plans change, I check in.
As orange bug pointed out, this has event has changed
us.  We had always thought of this part of our lives
as being removed from the realities of the street and
workplace.  I have hiked in the Alps and Grand Tetons
without ever seeing another person for days and weeks
on end.  I can't say that about the AT.  I even hiked
part of it in the winter with snow and ice all about
and still met folk.  Some of us hike and enjoy the
'family' experience of the trail.  Some hike and want
to avoid the 'family' and just about any other human
contact for that matter.  All of us 'should' have the
freedom to enjoy the experience as we see fit.   IMHO,
accepting the responsibility for inherent dangers is
one of the obligations we take we we assume these
freedoms.  That includes everything from sexual
harassment on the trail to hiking in Canada during
black fly season.  Insinuating that someone is
paranoid for making dangers apparent is very uncool.
I am sure Joni will have a wonderful experience with a
partner or solo.  I am also sure that the AT is big
enough for a wide variety of people, opinions and
experiences.
Artduck