[at-l] You guys are so wonderful.......

Joni,
I was sixteen when I first hiked the AT.  Times were
much different then.  There is something I want you to
seriously consider, especially if you are really
young, don't hike alone, find a partner.  Also make
sure you 'check in' along the way with someone,
develop a support team so to speak along the way.
Like in life, 99% of the people you meet are really
great but you still have to prepare for those 1%.
Most people who hike the AT have nothing worse than
blisters and the unexpected downpour to complain
about. I had a friend who was killed in Virginia while
hiking the AT.  She was a very experienced hiker.  I
never hike alone for more than a day hike any more and
I make sure someone knows where I am hiking and check
in if I am gone for more than a weekend.  I don't want
to discourage or unduly frighten you.  I have had
nothing but great experiences back packing and I am
sure you will too.
Carol