ATML Re[2]: [at-l] ATC Conference

I found it an excellent conference with a lot of good workshops and a great key note speaker on the
"spiritual" aspects of mountains. As usual I found DelDoc's medicine presentation especially good,
mostly I suspect because I tend to agree with most everything he says.

A couple of points that DelDoc particularly stressed stick in my mind:

He strongly recommends Ray Jardine's book, but says he can't meet Jardine's basic 8 pound weight
goal. DelDoc carries 18 pounds plus food and water.

Only 100 per cent DEET works against bugs -- and that only marginally against ticks.

A majority of medical people, -- including DelDoc -- think quick doses of antibiotics will knock
out early cases of Lyme Disease and that massive doses of long term intravenous injections are not necessary and
may cause harmful side affects.

A one percent cortizone ointment should be in every first aid kit, but anti-bacterial creams are
probably worthless.

DelDoc carries a selection of band aids, but no large pads. "I always find a way to improvise" if I find
they are needed," he said.

Most long distance hikers develop numb toes. But feeling usually returns within a few weeks or months
of returning home. He once tested the toes of every hiker he met at the shelters -- surely an act of
supreme scientific dedication. 67(?) per cent had lost some feeling.

Iodine should be used to treat water "only in an emergency." He recommends a good filter. He praised
the PUR Hiker and another brand that I forget. All water should be either boiled or filtered, he
said.

He carries a variety of antibiotics and specialized stuff that he uses to treat other hikers he
meets on the trail, but his medicine kit still weighs only 8 ounces.

Boots need good inner soles. He recommends Spenco(?) and lately has been hiking in running shoes.

In other matters, I met Baltimore Jack for the first time at the conference. I had debated with him
often on the Internet. He says he broke his ankle earlier but is going back on the trail, though he
still needs to talk to a doctor first. I recommended DelDoc.

NImblewood was highly visible and we sat together at lunch, but we didn't get a chance to really
talk. He praised an eight ounce hand computer that he used to send his journals to a web master and
to respond to e-mails on the trail.

I didn't find the pen I took to the conference and no one there would sell me one, so my notes are
skimpy and this report will be short.

Weary