[at-l] Bear Phobia

If you're hiking in the eastern US where appropriate trees are plentiful
enough, you do not need the bear canister.  Just be sure you hang your food
at least 10' off the ground, 6' down from the branch, and 6' away from the
trunk of the tree.  Even trickier but a good idea if possible, is to find a
branch that will support the weight of your food but not the additional
weight of the bear.  :-)

If you're in an area with known bear problems, you might want to
counterbalance your food rather than more conveniently tying off the bear
bag line to a nearby tree.  Just be sure you can get it down afterwards...
:-)

Mara
Stitches, GAME99