[at-l] Wilderness "Mechanism"

"The "light" is the Trail and how MacKaye intended it."

And how is that?  I have only read his 1921 article.  There are some things
in that article that make a whole lot of sense to me.  Like the part about
how spending "two weeks on the mountain top would show up many things about
life during the other fifty weeks down below". I like the part about how the
project would call out for volunteerism.

On the otherhand, that article speaks about a whole range of things that I
think would simply be catastrophic to the Trail as we know it. For example,
his call for volunteer labor is massive-- specifically, he calls for the
equivalent of 40,000 FULL TIME workers for the project.  Ouch.  He speaks of
a string of Swiss Style Chalets, some serving food.  Ouch.  I am a big
supporter of the huts, but I would hate to see that concept extended even in
an improved/idealistic manifestation.  He speaks of massive recreational
communities along the Trail.  Ouch.  Some of the other parts of that article
seem inspired more by the political economists of his day than by any
environmental ethic.

Of course, MacKaye wrote other stuff too.  Perhaps, some of what he has
written can shed some light on how we deal with the Trail and the outdoors
today.  I'm not so sure, however.  Perhaps those who know him better can set
me straight on that.  Hopefully with something more than "He was great, read
his letters and textbook.  Regional planning, my boy".  I could go and try
to research that but, for now, I think I will go back and reread "A Sand
County Almanac" instead.  Its around here somewhere.