[at-l] pack weight-1/3 body weight

REI staff taught me a more conservative rule: no more than 25% body
weight. I like this rule. It forces me to keep the pack weight below
40 lbs, except in winter.

REI especially emphasized this recommendation for children. Evidently
extra pack weight is hard on growing kids bodies, and I'm sure it'd
improve their impression of the outdoors if they aren't suffering
under an exhausting load. I've seen too many scout groups pass by me
on the trail, the kids just look like inmates suffering under their
packs.

--
Arthur D. Gaudet         	"Is walking down called hiking, too?"
(RockDancer)  	                 -heard at the top of Mt Washington, NH