[at-l] books to carry on the trail offered by the ATC

The most appropriate book depends on where you are hiking, as well as your
comfort level. The ATC guidebooks are divided by sections that are not
necessarily a single state nor a whole state. For instance, Georgia, NC and
TN are divided into 2 sections, with each guidebook containing the Great
Smoky Mountain National Park. Virginia is divvied into 3 sections of
Southwest, Central and Shenandoah. And so on. Each book may have 2 or more
maps associated with it, as part of the price.

I used to carry the guidebooks, maps and books on flora and fauna.
Occasionally, I've found other books to be of similar or better help in
describing the area, but usually weigh more. The Databook is a slender book
that gives bare information related to mileage regarding road crossings,
water, campsites and shelters, and towns with nearby services. The ALDHA
publishes a book and gives it away free for the download as a set of PDF
files, similarly divided by sections as per the ATC. It gives excellent
information about support services in towns and road crossings, as well as
general helpful info on the trail.

Before I hit a section, I copy the portions of the guidebook that detail
the section and add notes from the Databook. If I am industrious, I'll
write it into a PalmPilot to aid with planning and journal writing. I also
print out the ALDHA's book and carry the important pages, or at least write
the phone numbers and info into my Palm. I carry the maps, but I really
only find the elevation profile map to be of any real use. I suspect one
could make a really helpful map with one of the CD ROM products the ATC
endorses.

I have found that bringing the guidebook is a waste of weight. Reading it
never has gotten me up a hill or into town quicker. Someone always has one
in the shelter, and I am never too proud to ask to get a quick read of
tomorrow's walk. I do like to know something about the history and geology
of an area, but I prefer to prepare with that info before the walk. Of
course, YMMV (your mileage may vary).

OrangeBug