[at-l] butane lighters, was waterproof matches

I don't understand what's being referred to here. The lighter I use
has this little tab you flip each time you want to strike spark. Are
you saying you can disable this with impunity? That would be nice.
Better yet can you buy lighters without this feature? I found it a
tiring feature esp. when fingers are cold & wet.
RD '97