[at-l] Shelter Etiquette

What do you folks think are appropriate wake up and quiet times in a shelter?
6:00am and 9:00pm?

I found that if it's a shelter filled with long distance hikers, by 8:30pm it
seems like hiker midnight and most hikers are zoned out, in their bags, ready
for another blissful night of slumber.   Folks start to rumble around 5:45am
to 6:00am and no one seems annoyed.  Everyone goes about their business and
back to the trail.

However, if the shelter has a "mixed" crowd, IOW, a few hikers that aren't
going the distance, 8:30pm is too early for them to quiet down.  In the
morning, the late risers give an evil squinted one eyed glare then burrow
their head into their sleeping bag in disgust as the early risers stir about.

I saw an official AT poster at the new Peru Peak Shelter which stated quiet
times are from 10:00pm to 6:00am.  I think it should be changed to 9:00pm to
6:00am.  Maybe I'm just getting old.

Cin

multipart/alternative
  text/html