[at-l] 5/18/01 Maine Rose news

        I had a call from Bev's sister, Candy, last night.  Bev has
reached the point where she is pretty much unable to move herself--
legs, arms, hands.  She is still able to eat and enjoys special foods
her sisters take to her--but she cannot feed herself.  The radiation
treatments did not help at all, and they don't expect Bev to last much
longer.  She can still talk somewhat but moves in and out of lucidness.

        The situation has deteriorated beyond the point where Bev
could enjoy the singing telegram.  So, to all those I thanked for
their contributins yesterday, today I have to say "what now?"

        Candy said that at this point the best thing we could do would
be to wait and make a memorial gift to the ATC (and maybe the Maine AT
club).  I can hold the money for a future memorial contribution or I
can mail it back to you--which I wouldn't mind at all--you just need
to let me know which way you want to go.

        There was mention of a possible memorial earlier on this list,
though I can't remember whose post it was.  That person could step
up to handle the collection, or I'll do it if need be.  I think some
comunication with ATC might be in order, to determine whether or not
there's a particular project to which we could contribute.

        By the way, Candy says one of Bev's few remaining pleasures is
mail, which she asks about every day when family visits her.  So cards
and letters are enormously appreciated:

        *** Beverly Hugo, 10 Codman St., Portland ME 04103 ***

        -- Thank you all.  eArThworm