[at-l] I don't need no stinking pack cover WAS: need sleeping bag advice

Datto Wrote:
> Also, don't forget about using a pack cover -- amazing
> how many people started a thru-hike last year without
> initially carrying any kind of a pack cover. Wow did
> their stuff get soaked. Big run on them at Neel's Gap
> and NOC. ...

I am part no pack cover crowd.  I have never used a more worthless piece of
equipment in my opinion.  As part of the class of El Nino, I grew to hate
the water collecting in my pack cover then draining on my legs.  I had
better luck keeping all my clothing in gallon and 2 gallon zip locks.

I was also pretty radical and didn't keep my z-rest in a stuff sack.  As a
closed cell foam pad, it didn't absorb any water to speak of.  I would just
shake it out before putting it down.

I have also put a pair of grommets in the bottom of my backpack to allow the
water to drain out.

> Also, inside your pack you may want to at least put a
> garbage bag inside your tent stuff sack (to keep the
> water from the previous nights rainstorm from seeping
> into the inside of your pack).

I couldn't tell if you keep your tent in your backpack.  If so, consider
carrying a smaller pack and lashing the tent on the outside.  It will allow
you to  use a lighter pack.

> The same holds true for your sleeping bag stuff sack
> -- a garbage bag liner inside your sleeping bag stuff
> sack. Or, you could just use an Outdoor Research
> Hydroseal stuff sack (heavier by a few ounces but is
> waterproof in a storm (not submersable). ...

I have just worn out my Hydroseal sack after 10 years.  I am replacing it
with one of the Granite Gear Dry Sacks made from lighter material.  The GG
sack probably won't last as long.

Cheers,
Terry
game'98