[at-l] Re: silnylon

Well, Kurt sends a section of Tyvek with his Nomads for use as a ground
cloth, and the advice that you can reduce weight by trimming it to the area
near where you will be in the tent. The idea of the ground cloth is to
reduce friction and abrasion to the silnylon. For the expense of the
material and the difficulty of repair, the idea is sound. For the real
world, the stuff is so slick, you really will have trouble abrading it
unless you really put effort into the attempt.

I am sure that a purveyor of tarps will want to sell a ground cloth or
otherwise avoid a return for warranty service. I'd suggest a compromise
with a small section of plastic or Tyvek trimmed to the appropriate size.
The plastic might double as your pack cover, if you don't use the tarp for
that already. I think it would be hard to get a ground cloth that would be
heavy enough to lose the benefit from going to silnylon from hardware store
blue tarp.

OrangeBug