[at-l] Technology on the trail WAS Re: Sharp TM 20s

Seems to me that I was one of those involved in the first "technology on the
Trail" flame wars on the other list.  That was long ago and far away.  And
it's funny how little I care after two more thruhikes.  OTOH, those
thruhikes were on trails that don't generally have the problem - cell phones
don't generally work on the PCT and they rarely work on the CDT.  Some
hikers carry radios - and some carry GPS - but they're generally not a
problem.  I hope it'll be that way for a long time to come.  :-)

In any case, I'm not gonna jump on anyone about taking their (as I once
called them) "tech-toys" on the Trail. But I will point out that Sloetoe's
sig line is incorrect to a large degree (sorry Toey).  It says that
"wilderness" is a function of how much control you have over your
environment.  From personal observation and experience, it has a lot more of
a relationship to how "out of touch" you are with "civilization".  If you're
in Maine in January, you'll experience a fair bit of "wilderness".  If
you're in Northern Montana in early June and don't see another human
footprint for 6 or 7 days, you'll experience a whole lot of "wilderness" -
especially if you're paying attention to the wolf, elk and grizzly tracks
that you're following for miles every day. :-)

If you're in the same places in August, you'll likely lose a lot of that
"wilderness" feeling because there'll be a whole lot more people in those
places at that time of year.

The difference isn't the place - it's the contact - or lack of it - with
other humans.  For those who hike the AT, you'll generally meet other people
on a regular basis over most of the Trail through most of the year.  That
means there's very little real "wilderness" experience on the AT under the
best of conditions - and what there is, you might have to work to find.  But
it IS "findable".

So --- having said all that - how many of you understand that, as someone
said back there (was it R&R ?) - there's a difference between a PDA and a
cell phone?  The difference is that the cell phone allows you to "stay in
contact" with the outside world while the PDA is a passive device.

Now - personal experience (it's happened to us) is that carrying the PDA or
GPS or radio will change the nature of your hike - and I won't argue about
that - it's a self-evident fact.  Personal opinion is that carrying a cell
phone changes the nature of the hike drastically - because it reduces the
probability of experiencing "real wilderness" to nearly zero.  In other
words - if you can order pizza from the Trail, then you ain't in the
wilderness, babe.  If you're looking for a "wilderness experience", leave
the cell phone at home.  But then, not everyone is looking for that, are
they?  Choices.

Anyway - I'm just rambling here --  just happens that Ginny and I talked
about this exact subject while we were hiking on Sunday.

However - I did object to one thing that came out of this mess - someone
wrote -

>For Others to object to it is the objectors problem and the objector is the
>one that has to spend the rest of their outdoor experience with the bricks
>of
>anger they picked up along the way ie.knowlage of another hiker using
>handheld PC rather than a pen and paper.

You've gotta watch your logic here - what you effectively said there was
that if someone wants to break up the picnic table at a shelter and use it
for firewood, I'd have no right to object and that it would be my problem.
I've been told that kind of thing before.  Yeah - I know - that's not what
you meant to say, but it's a logical extension of what you did say.

For better or worse, I'm not a believer in that philosophy.  I'm more a
believer that we have the rights that we have the will and the strength to
hold.  If someone wanders into a shelter that I'm occupying, pulls out their
cell phone and calls their broker (being loud and obnoxious about it), they
might just find that they're in the company of an off-the-wall nut-case
(me).  Do you have any idea how many ways a cell phone conversation can be
interrupted by someone who's loudly and violently insane?  Of course, if
they call their broker quietly from a couple hundred yards away from the
shelter - who cares?  They should, perhaps, if they went to the woods to
escape the "real world" or to "get in touch with nature", but that's their
problem, not mine.

On the other hand (yeah - I know - I don't have that many hands), if the
cell phone is to keep family happy - or to check on an ailing grandfather -
or a lot of other legitimate reasons - and the user is polite and discreet -
I don't figure it's any of my business.  What I just said is - hike your own
hike, but respect others along the way - and then you won't have to deal
with that nut-case in the corner :-))

Y'all have a good night - I'll go back to my corner.

Walk softly,
Jim