[at-l] book recommendation

The full title in case you're looking for it is:

The Long Walk: the True Story of a Trek to Freedom , by Rawicz, Slavomir

I read this in March '98 just after my '97 thruhike and was
fascinated by just how long a walk a person could do, under arduous
circumstances. Slavomir was force marched from a train depot to a
gulag in Siberia (WWII period) for several hundred miles, then
managed an escape and then walked to India, crossing a desert and
then the Himalayan Mountains. Several of his companions died in the
long walk. An interesting sidenote to his story: on the long walk he
decides to bypass Lhasa (where he could obtain supplies and rest)
because it was thought to be full of Germans. For those who read
Harrar's "Seven Year's in Tibet" it's pretty clear that he'd have
been welcome and taken care of. He most certainly would've met Harrar.

More recently I'm reading Arlene Blum's account of the 1978 climb of
Annapurna, first 8000 meter peak done by an all women team. In the
update she states that a few years later, in 1982, she completed a
2000 mile walk across the Himalayan regions of Bhutan, Nepal and
India.

--
Arthur D. Gaudet         	"Is walking down called hiking, too?"
(RockDancer)  	                 -heard at the top of Mt Washington, NH