[at-l] Gear report - Stupidity in a hammock

Well, before I leave the list for a long weekend to VA, I thought I'd
give you guys a chuckle.

Sunday the weather was rather warm and nice down here in Smyrna, with
the Dogwoods blooming and the Cherries bursting in leaves after
dropping their blooms. I have been playing with a Hennessey Hammock
under the cherries, and trying to figure out how to deal with the fact
that many trees aren't easy to find within their 6-10 foot range.

So, a trip to Wally World ensued, where I purchased a couple of 6 foot
nylon straps and buckles to wrap around trees. I figured I'd then tie
the hammock to the belts and have a nice snooze.

Everyone raise their hand who knows where this is going! Okay, that
looks like about 35. Hands down.

Well, I sat into the hammock, and began to relax. Just as I laid back -
SNAP! POP! BAM!

I began to notice the shooting stars and vivid auroras that didn't
quite match mid afternoon in Georgia. My face was wet. Plus my feet
were in the air and I seemed to have a headache. Plus, I was in this
strange mesh body bag.

The clip on the strap above my head had broken in at least 3 parts. My
head had come crashing to the ground, about a 3 foot fall. Only Sally,
the gear eating Boxer, was witness to the pratfall. She wasn't very
happy that I had noseeum between me and her voracious tongue.

After a bit, I got my wits about me (such as they are), and reassessed
my plan, glad I was not a transplant donor or a new resident of Shepard
Spinal Center. I decided to tie the straps to the tree and set it back
up, which worked well.

I'd like to know how other hammock dwellers deal with the connection
between tree and hammock, and help avoid the connection between ground
and hammock.

OrangeBug