[at-l] Gear report - Stupidity in a hammock

For all the hammockers, I_think_ it may be illegal to attach hammocks
to trees in PA.  I know it is illegal to tie a dog to a tree here.  The reason
is that the rope damages the bark which provides access to disease and
insects.  Basically, the bark is the tree's skin and while it does shed, just
as our skin does, the rope can pull off layers, exposing the tender insides
to bugs and infection.  I'll check out the law.
If you care, find a way to do what OB tried.  The straps, rather than thin
rope, might mitigate damage.  Maybe a piece of cc foam to protect the tree.
Especially around shelters and established campsites, this will be an issue
as the use of hammocks increases.  LNT ain't easy......