[at-l] James River

Walter,

	I hiked south of the James this past weekend! Friday late I walked into
Matts creek shelter and spent the night. I had a great, long nights
sleep laying in front of the bubbling creek. After much coffee, around
10:00 I headed south to Balcony Falls trail, turned left onto Sulpher
springs trail and walked to Marble Spring. From there I took the AT back
to Piney Ridge trail. I guess I walked about half way to 501 down the
Piney ridge trail and after an unsuccessful bushwhack to the top of a
ridge looking for a campsite. I finally just set up camp right beside
the trail.
	Sunday I walked down to the trail head and met other members of the
NBATC for a day hike to the AT. It rained during the night and all day
Sunday, just a light drizzle. After we reached the AT the other three
day hikers returned to 501 via Piney Ridge Trail and I took the AT north
to 501. Just before Matts creek shelter i met Kodiac and a friend.
Kodiac did 1000 miles in 99 before something broke and he ahd to come
off. At the shelter i saw where Warren Doyle had signed in on his 13th
AT hike. Guess i missed everyone when I too the parallel Sulpher Springs
trail.
	Anyway I suppose since freezing precipitation was called for during the
weekend, they may have closed the parkway near Apple Orchard Mnt. There
is a gravel road to the AT just south of the Apple Orchard mnt. This
road connects with North Creek/81 area or Cave Mnt ... Petites Gap road
and even to Powel gap south of Peaks of Otter. This lets access areas
when the Parkway is closed.

chase