[at-l] Is anybody out there

At 05:49 PM 3/6/01 -0600, t. wrote:
>hopefl@juno.com wrote:
> >
> > Please allow me to rant and let off a little steam. I sent a letter to my
> > elected reps in Washington asking that "tax cut" legislation be tied to
> > actually economic performance, year by year.
>
>please be careful here.  3 things.
>
>it is believed by some that economic expansion is caused by tax cuts.
>the people who pay the majority of taxes invest that money in ways to
>which create jobs and increase the tax base.

This is referred to as the "trickle down theory" of economics. My only
comment will be to observer that there is a reason it's called "trickle
down" and not "flow down".

>It is believed by some that the gov't is already TOO BIG !!!

It's interesting that the US citizen pays the lowest taxes in the
industrialized world and it's still too much. At the same time these same
citizens demand the best government services (defense, highways, schools,
public transit, etc., etc.) in the industrialized world. Hmmmm... what does
that tell you?

>...clip... (2) this money is YOUR money.

Okay, this is going to sound entirely too Biblical but here goes...
Take out a coin or bill from your pocket and look closely at it. Whose name
is on it, your name or the "The United States of America"? Do I really need
to go into a lengthy explanation of how the monetary system works? Give
unto Caesar, etc. and stop focusing on money as the most important thing in
life. It's a medium of exchange and it belongs to the government who issues
it to facilitate the flow of commerce for the good of society. You are part
of both the society and the government but it is not "your money" any more
than the land you hold a deed to is entirely yours (if you don't believe me
on that, try not paying your property tax). You don't own your spouse or
your children either. These are all cooperative arrangements for the good
of society (meaning everyone not just you).

Saunterer