[at-l] favorite mountains

I have many favorite mtn, Blood mtn comes to mind, it was there that I met
someone who would go on to become a special friend.
Marcy in the Adirondacks is another that comes to mind, again reminding me
of time spent with friends, one of which had never been above 2000 ft
before. She had great difficultly climbing, so much so that she at several
points during the climb succumbed to anxiety attacks. She persevered,
reached the summit and was forever hooked on bagging the high places. That
day it was this transformation in her that was most thrilling to me, she
then was able to realize why I loved it so...
There are many mtn in Korea, whose names escape me and maybe they did not
even have names, rather just numbers on a map. While stationed  there it
was a big no no to just go wandering off to explore. Many a weekend my
partner and I would sneak to the south side of the compound and slip past
the guard tower manned by a Korean security officer. As we climbed I know
he could see us, but I think he knew somehow that we where just out to
explore the country side, besides we where headed south, if we did this
heading north surely something would have been done to stop us, surely a
chopper would soon be circling above us, but none came and when we reached
the summit overlooking the compound we would wave to him as if saying to
him thank you, we'll be back, where not defecting to the north and all is well.
 From there we would follow the endless trails that linked the many mtn
villages. It was exciting, armed with only a small ruck sack and camera we
found places that time had forgotten. The people in these places where
always friendly, offering us bottled Korean Cokes, some even invited us
into there homes for lunch. Most of all I enjoyed the views of a country I
barely knew... Yes it was different, there where no large trees or balds,
just endless rice paddies and tiny villages in the distance, but what it
did have in common with the US was the peacefulness, the wind and the silence.

Doug

---