[at-l] In honor...

GMC said:
> (I flew back here Sunday night on a flight that originated in Chicago.
> As we approached Phoenix--and a glorious sunset--the pilot announced
> that it was79*. There was wild cheering throughout the aircraft. Would
> have been dancing in the aisle, too, had the seatbelt sign not been
> on...)

Nothing to do with the trail but this vividly reminds me of the first time I
flew into Sky Harbor in PHX.  It was mid July and I was being transferred
from a tour in Homer, Alaska to an assignment in Phoenix (desk job, U-Haul
Building on Central Ave, ugh).  This was before they had the jetways at the
airport so you descended from the plane onto the tarmac and walked to the
building.

I had on a flannel shirt, jeans, and kinda like zip up suede boots with a
fur lining.  As we deplaned,  I was surprised that the jet engine was
radiating so much heat so far from the wing.  However, it didn't get any
cooler the further I walked away from the plane.  It didn't take me long to
realize that 110* for ambient air temp plus whatever was reflecting back
from the asphalt was not uncommon.

'Twas a real culture shock.  And don't let them tell you that dry heat isn't
just as hot as whatever the alternative is.

Al (Draggin' Anchor)