[at-l] Rain Gear

Kahley,

My research on raingear indicates that they fall into several groups.

Waterproof / Breathable - $80 or less  - Frogg Toggs, Rain Shield, Tyvek
jackets - These low cost units lack much in the way of long term durability.
They are good for infrequent periods of rain. They can blow out easy. I've
seen seams blow out just putting the jacket on.

Waterproof/ Not breathable (Coated Nylon) - $80 or less - Sierra Designs,
Kelly Hanson, Columbia Clothes, etc. If you don't mind getting wet while
hiking and having something to keep you dry a camp, these are a good option.
They are low cost and very effective.

Waterproof/Breathable - $80 - 150 -  Marmot/ PreClip Jacket, GoLite/Newt,
Sierra Designs / Vapor  - These are all light weight 8 to 12 oz. They are
not much more expensive that the throwaway rain suits, but have a much
longer life span.

Then there's the heavier more expensive GoreTex jackets.

Ron
Ron "Fallingwater" Moak
www.fallingwater.com/pct2000