[at-l] If a tree falls in the forest...

At 09:05 PM 1/22/01 -0500, Hal Wright wrote:
>  Does anyone ever get creamed by a
>falling tree while they innocently and peacefully sleep at night?

You just hit my fear on the head <groan>.
Not only on the Trail, but at home.  I remember one night when Hub was out
of town........
I happened to be on line with Broknspoke at the time, when a tree let go in
a windstorm
and landed on our house.  Poor Pete hung on while I got the big ladder and
crawled up to
see the damage.  Wasn't bad but I was scared sh*tless.  If i never thanked you
you Pete.here it is..Thanks for cyber holding my hand.  You were great!

If it were just the standing deads to consider, it wouldn't be so bad.  But
perfectly
good looking trees come down too.  In the woods, I think about it.  If it's
really
windy I think about it more.  At home, on really windy nights, I insist
that Hub
and i sleep in different end of the house so one of us can dig the other
out of the
rubble.

Then there was the first time I took a tarp.  Awful storm....lighting hit
so close
I could smell it.  Next morning a fried hemlock about 15 foot away.  Glad
I didn't tie my tarp to that tree but even gladder I didn't have metal tent
poles!

Falling trees.....not an unreasonable fear but not likely either.  As you said
lightening is a bigger concern and one that thrus play high stakes with a lot.