GoreTex boots was Re: [at-l] Gore-Tex ???

>From: Sloetoe <sloetoe@yahoo.com>
>Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 14:52:03 -0800 (PST)

>Please, if you've not posted and have an opinion, post away.

I'll weigh in on the side of Gore-Tex footwear (with conditions).  When I
was wearing Vasque Skywalks (the cloth and leather version of the
Sundowners), my feet always stayed dry unless water came in the top.  I
always thought it was kind of cool that I could stand in shallow streams
with "cloth" boots and stay dry.

If you tend to have sweaty feet though, I doubt the Gore-Tex can do much in
the way of vapor transfer given that the membrane is sandwiched between the
protective outer layers of the boot and some sort of lining.  I just found
that the membrane was more waterproof than most other materials used in
boots.  There were times that the boot was soaked on the outside but me feet
were still dry inside.

For day hikes and short backpacks, it might be worth having the Gore-Tex.
If you're primarily doing longer hikes where your boots are likely to get
wet from water running down your legs, then it probably doesn't matter much.

FWIW, if the Skywalks had fit properly, at the time, I would have considered
another pair when I wore that first pair out.  Now, I do enough hiking that
wet feet are just going to happen and fit is more important.  So, I got a
pair of custom Limmers that are only as waterproof as the Skywalks when I
regularly clean and treat them.

As such, it probably is a waste or money to get leather boots with Gore-Tex
linings unless there are a lot of seams in the leather (or you're planning
on not taking care of the boots).  For combination cloth/leather boots,
think about the conditions you expect to hike in.

For day-in and day-out rain, in and out of puddles and mud, water dripping
off trees and getting brushed off bushes, there is no boot that is going to
keep your feet dry.

Mara
Stitches, GAME99