[at-l] Gore-Tex ???

Yo,

	I used a Gortex bivi for approx. 17 years (Sleep Inn Early Winters 18
oz) with excellent results. Woodelf still uses his. We purchased them in
1982. I hike year round and the only time the bivi doesn't work well is
when it is to warm to be inside a shell.
	After the gasoline spill I replaced my Sleep Inn with an OR Advanced
bivi (33 oz). This bivi is very nice in warmer weather. ($$$OR Advanced
Like new for sale around half price$$$). Some of our listers really like
their OR bivi's.
	Since I hike a lot in winter I replace the OR with a Bibler bivi. I am
well satisfied with the Bibler at 2#. I currently use a Nomad at 1.5#
mostly because it is lighter than the Bibler.

	Gortex boots have always performed well for me. I think they may
actually breath some too! The main thing is I have never had them to
leak.

	I used a gortex parker and pants from Campmore for many years mostly in
winter. I think it works much better in cold because it is so much
easier to control body temperature in cold weather. Wearing to much
insulation under the Gortex is often the reason folks get wet. I
sometimes wore it against my bare skin when the amount of activity calls
for less insulation than just the poly pro's.

	Currently I use the Golite type gortex rain gear. It has worked well in
the winter months. I have not used it in summer rains yet.	I usually
prefer an umbrella  or a poncho in warmer weather. Often I prefer to
hike wet in my poly pro long johns when the temperature is much above
50* and I am moving on! In New England I found the rain was much colder
in the fall and the air temperature needed to be much warmer than this
to be comfortable hiking wet. I always have dry cloths for use when I
stop for the night. Note: hypothermia claims many victims at 50*.

	I have also used many very cheap coated rain gear products with great
success. Of course the coated nylon ones are much more durable than the
plastic ones.

chase