[at-l] The "g", "c" and "u" words

Since I seem to be the dinosaur on the list - a couple comments.

Unless it's happened in the last 18 months (while we've been gone) the "g"
word has never been a source of real contenion on at-l.  I know that guns
(and those associated with them) have been vilified on atml, but at-l has
(as usual) been more laid back about the subject.  My comments about
carrying them on the trail are in the 'security' section of the Thruhiker
Papers. I see no need to belabor the point here.

The "c" word was what indirectly led to my banishment from atml - it's a
dangerous word  :-)  Actually, the real danger lies in a failure to
recognize the validity of a variety of viewpoints.  If something works for
you - that's cool.  But keep in mind that it WON'T work for everyone.
Doesn't matter whether it's cell phones, stoves, water filters, packs ---
whatever.  Respect each others viewpoints and opinions - it'll save a lot of
heat.  "One-size-fits-all" ideas fit only those who propose the idea.

The "u" word controversy was largely the result of a misunderstanding. Most
(but not all) of the flame wars I've seen on the lists have happened because
people didn't stop to think - What does he mean when he says (whatever)?  A
little explanation (or sometimes a question rather than a fast, hot,
inaccurate response) can sometimes save a lot of heat.

I know - I was at the center of most of the early flame wars on at-l, more
than a few on rec.backcountry and a few on atml - among others.  A few were
unavoidable (for me), but most of them could have been avoided if just one
of the participants had said - "define your terms - what do you mean by this
(word, phrase, etc.)?"

at-l is pretty much unique - there have been very few participants who have
'trolled' the list.  A few - but not many and they tend to get shot down
very quickly.  Let's keep it that way.  Play nice - wheher you know it or
not, you're family.  Not always happily (most families are dysfunctional in
one way or another), but you're bound by common interests, experiences and
goals.  Respect each other even when you disagree about the "c", "g" and "u"
words.  :-)

Walk softly,
Jim