[at-l] Just too weird......... from a minitrip report

So we're leaving the NC/Smokys area, heading back to Hoosierville,
on/about Tuesday, December 26th. Traveling west on I40 through Davenport
Gap. In a bid for a mini-vacation, hit the AT for two miles between I40
and the GSMNP boundary -- which two miles the boys had not yet done. When
we were done, there was still useable daylight, so headed to our favorite
bit of acreage in the world, the Big Creek campground. Strolled around, up
Big Creek, through the deserted campground, pointing out where we'd stayed
on previous visits, thence back to the car.

Emptying the car of roadtrip garbage in preparation for the trip back, I
accidently threw out some gum. Opened the bearproof can to retrieve it,
and I spied a "Steak 'N Shake" receipt, and out of curiousity, grabbed it
to see where it had been printed. I was shocked to read:

Steak 'N Shake #032
7960 US 31 South
Indianapolis, IN 46227

Awesome!
It was dated "11/21/00" -- the second day of the frigid Thanksgiving trip
when Stitches and I woke to 11*F at Double Spring Shelter (?) some 50
trail miles away. Awesome again!

Now, understanding the high religion celebratory role of real-type genuine
Milk'umShakes in the lives of the Gumby/Pokey/Sloetoe crew since our LT
hike, this Steak 'N Shake thing was quite a freakout event. Whoaaaaaa,
says I, this is mighty cool. (And on top of that, the receipt is for a
chocolate shake, no cherry.)

So I dove back in the garbage can, and retrieved a piece of junk mail with
an Indianapolis address and a zip just two digits different from mine
(46217 vs. 46219). The person who emptied these items from their car were
the last to throw anything out at that can for perhaps the last month,
were from Indy, and were in an Indy Steak 'N Shake at the same (frigid)
time as Stitches and I were here.

Watson! The game is afoot!
Sloetoe

=====
There is little use for the being whose tepid soul knows nothing of the great and generous emotions of the high pride, the stern belief, the lofty enthusiasm, of the men who quell the storm and ride the thunder.

T.Roosevelt 4/23/10