[at-l] Re: Sandbagging, etc.

A reply to the replies:

1. I believe that the term I used: "without having trained and prepared
properly beforehand", should be interpreted relative to the needs of each
individual runner. If Mr. Sloetoe and others *honestly feel* that they can
complete ultras on a "Mahoneyistic" (please credit me with coining this into
English usage) training schedule, then who could have a problem with it. All
such have better ultra credentials than me, by far.

2. What I was getting at was responsibility. If you know that you are
woefully undertrained (even by your own standards) or if you fail to heed
the generally accepted medical advice for ultras (that's got to be worth a
couple of replies) without having experimented on yourself beforehand and
found to the contrary, then you are acting irresponsibly by entering an
organized event (or including the run as the highlight of your spouse's
vacation.) I am sure that many people will have a different opinion on what
exactly is their "responsibility" but if you keel over in front of me on a
trail, *my* responsibility will compel me to end/delay my trained-for race
and try to help you survive. My responsibility also tells me to take all
possible precautions in order to minimize the risk of my keeling over in
front of you.

3. John Davis wrote:
>I fall on the side that encourages postings such as the Viet Nam >series.
>The tour of Viet Nam may
>have been a dumb thing to do but not to post it would have been a far
>greater
>crime.

I agree John, especially if Andrea reads it and takes note.

Brian