  From: David Abbott=20
  To: at-l@mailman.backcountry.net=20
  Sent: Wednesday, January 03, 2001 1:26 PM
  Subject: [at-l] New Found Freedom on the AT!

  I am looking forward to celebrating my new found freedom on the AT.  =
Freedom?  Yes I am finally getting out of a marriage where she didn't =
like hiking, backpacking, camping and therefore frowned upon me doing =
these things as well.  I have dreamed of hiking the AT since I was 10 =
(now 41) and am celebrating by doing my long lived dream.  Well anyway =
what does this have to do with anything???  I was just wondering if =
there are any people out here on the list who has been in a similar =
situation - present or past.  I would love to know that I am not the =
only one!  Any single female hikers looking for a nice guy as an AT =
hiking partner write to me and we can talk about "dreams".  I live in =
Denver but my spirit roams all the trails, mountains and valleys!!!  Ok =
- sorry if this bored anyone!

  =
----------------------------------
  David Abbott - abbotds@prodigy.net
  Great Outdoor Photo Shop - =
http://members.tripod.com/~abbotds/index.html
  Mountain Man Geosciences - http://MMGeo.tripod.com/home.html
  =
---------------------------------

------=_NextPart_000_0072_01C075E7.52612FD0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Well....</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I'm 41 and am just getting out of a =
marriage where=20
she didn't much like hiking, backpacking, camping, etc.&nbsp; I think =
that=20
hiking the trail could make a great "right of pasage"&nbsp; to mark the =
end of=20
one phase of your life and the start of a new one.&nbsp; Actually, I =
seem to=20
recall that the first person to hike the AT (Earl Schaffer) did it to =
help=20
himself get over his experiences in WWII.&nbsp; I think that long =
distance=20
hiking, pilgrimages, and vision quests have a lot in =
common.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I'd be out there with you, except that =
I've got two=20
kids who live with me half the time... In my situation, I think it would =
put too=20
much stress on them, so I'm staying put and taking shorter trips for=20
now.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>My only caveat would be to make sure =
that you are=20
comfortable with your reasons for hiking... I desparately wanted to hike =
the AT=20
a few years ago, but came to the realization that my reasons weren't =
good... I=20
would have been running away from an intolerable situation, and away =
from my=20
responsibilities to my kids.&nbsp; But if you can look yourself in the =
mirror=20
and say that you are hiking for the right reasons, then I can't think of =
a=20
better thing to do.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-- Jim</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>----- Original Message ----- </DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
  <DIV=20
black"><B>From:</B>=20
  <A title=3Dabbotds@prodigy.net =
href=3D"mailto:abbotds@prodigy.net";>David=20
  Abbott</A> </DIV>
title=3Dat-l@mailman.backcountry.net=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:at-l@mailman.backcountry.net";>at-l@mailman.backcountry.net=
</A>=20
  </DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Sent:</B> Wednesday, January 03, =
2001 1:26=20
  PM</DIV>
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><B>Subject:</B> [at-l] New Found =
Freedom on the=20
  AT!</DIV>
  <DIV><BR></DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I am looking forward to celebrating =
my new found=20
  freedom on the AT.&nbsp; Freedom?&nbsp; Yes I am finally getting out =
of a=20
  marriage where she didn't like hiking, backpacking, camping and =
therefore=20
  frowned upon me doing these things as well.&nbsp; I have dreamed of =
hiking the=20
  AT since I was 10 (now 41) and am celebrating by doing my long lived=20
  dream.&nbsp; Well anyway what does this have to do with =
anything???&nbsp; I=20
  was just wondering if there are any people out here on the list who =
has been=20
  in a similar situation - present or past.&nbsp; I would love to know =
that I am=20
  not the only one!&nbsp; Any single female hikers looking for a nice =
guy as an=20
  AT hiking partner write to me and we can talk about "dreams".&nbsp; I =
live in=20
  Denver but my spirit roams all the trails, mountains and =
valleys!!!&nbsp; Ok -=20
  sorry if this bored anyone!</FONT></DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV><FONT face=3DArial=20
  =
size=3D2>----------------------------------------------------------------=
-------------------------------------------<BR>David=20
  Abbott - <A =
href=3D"mailto:abbotds@prodigy.net";>abbotds@prodigy.net</A><BR>Great=20
  Outdoor Photo Shop - <A=20
  =
href=3D"http://members.tripod.com/~abbotds/index.html";>http://members.tri=
pod.com/~abbotds/index.html</A><BR>Mountain=20
  Man Geosciences - <A=20
  =
href=3D"http://MMGeo.tripod.com/home.html";>http://MMGeo.tripod.com/home.h=