Re: always looking to be popular.....Re: [at-l] GPS & misc.

"Dawn Stringer" <stringdm@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Isn't anybody you piss off (or who pisses you off) and in the wrong in >the
>slim minority anyway?   So what do we do to educate them, rather >than just
>complain about their ignorant behavior on the AT-L?
>Belcher

Dawn -
We did some 'education' of the dirt bikers (motorized version) on the PCT
this year - at least twice we stood in the trail and refused to allow them
to pass.  The first time, we were stopped on the trail and they came
screaming around a curve and almost ran over us. The second time, one of
them wanted to argue - he asked us if we thought the trail belonged to us
and our answer was "YES, THIS IS THE PCT AND YOU DON'T BELONG HERE."  Of
course, we had the advantage in both cases because the trail was narrow
sidehill and there wasn't room for them to pass unless we got off the trail.
  And we weren't about to do that.

The third bike we met was at the North Fork of the Feather River - and he
had at least a 10 mile walk out of there regardless which way he went. And
the trail was overgrown and was definitely a "blowdown-rich environment"
with 2500' climbs in both directions. We just laughed at that one cause we
knew he wouldn't be doing that trail again - and that he'd tell his friends
to stay away from it, too.

Bikers on the AT - that's not something I've run into - yet. When I do,
we'll find out how the story ends.  But I can tell you this - some bikers
may be young and reckless, but I don't believe a lot of them   are really
stupid enough to impale themselves on a Leki at high speed.

Walk softly - and carry a sharp stick,
Jim