RE: Re: [at-l] Hennessy hammock?

Newfound gap to Sam's gap in 7 to ten days?  Let's see, it's about a 110 miles, you can do that!

The northern Smokies are a joy, assuming the shelters aren't full, but you'd be able to make reservations. They're also incredibly scenic (in good weather) and downhill all the way (well most of it) to Davenport Gap.  Climbling out of Davenport Gap up Snowbird is long pull, but well graded.
Fairly easy hiking after that once on the ridge to Max Patch, another highlight of the southern  appalachians. On to Hot Springs, where you'll have a decent climb out of, but once on the ridge again, it's an easy walk to Sams Gap.

Atleast, that's the way I remember it the second time around last spring.  If I'm not mistaken, it was a somewhat  harder the first time around, being out of shape and carrying a heavy load, it took me about ten days, not counting a couple days of r and r in Hot Springs in '97....

You could go, NF gap to Pecks Corner (don't forget to take in Charlies Bunion)(10.4), to Cosby Knob (13), to a campsite by a creek, half way up Snowbird (about 13), to Roaring Fork with an early start (about 16), to Hot Springs by dinner (14.6), to Spring Mt. after breakfast and resupply (10.9), to Jerry's Cabin (15.4), to Hogback Ridge (13.7), and Sam's Gap early the last day.

Regardless of how you do it, it's a great section!

Happy hiking, Sly

This mobile message sent using PocketMail.
Sign up for unlimited e-mail at www.PocketMail.com.

To:            <dkiefer@jjg.com>
Cc:            <at-l@backcountry.net>