[at-l] bivy/tent - Eureka Gossamer

I own both the Peak 1 Cobra and the Eureka Gossamer tents, and have hiked
over 200 miles using both on the AT.  The following is my comparison of the
two.  You can also find this at my website at
http://www.oc.edu/staff/phil.heffington/gearcomparisons.htm

The Peak 1 Cobra and the Eureka Gossamer are virtually identical in weight (
4 lbs. total) when all accessories are included (stakes, rainfly, footprint,
etc.).  The rainfly is attached to the Gossamer, so it can't be weighed
separately, while the Cobra's rainfly is separate from the rest of the tent.

The Cobra is listed as a two-man tent by the manufacturer, while the
Gossamer is only listed as a one-man tent.  The Cobra as a two-man tent
would be very tight indeed.  It would not, for instance, have room for two
full length Ridgerest or Thermarest sleeping pads to fit side by side
without overlapping below the knees.  I wouldn't want to depend on it for
sleeping two people regularly.  It is, however, a very roomy one-person
tent.  You can comfortably sit up, change clothes, etc., inside the tent,
and has room inside for a good bit of gear when sleeping only one.  It has
entrances on each side, and the rainfly provides a vestibule on each side
big enough to cover a pack under each vestibule.  In a rainstorm a man can
even urinate from inside the tent under the rainfly from a kneeling
position, if necessary.  It sets up easily, and has only one aluminum pole.

The Gossamer is much smaller than the Cobra.  It is comfortable sleeping one
person, and has a small amount of space inside for a few extra items.  The
vestibule is very small.  I can't get much more than my boots under it.  It
has only one entrance from the "head" end, and you must almost certainly
crawl in feet first.  It takes longer to set up than the Cobra, and has two
small aluminum poles.  It actually costs slightly more than the Cobra (which
can usually be found for about $90 retail).

The Cobra performs well in heavy rains, and can be staked so that
ventilation can minimize condensation.  All in all, the Cobra is much more
tent for the money than the Gossamer, and costs less.  With all accessories
the Gossamer might weigh 3 ounces less.  Neither of these tents are "free
standing".  Both provide adequate protection from bugs and small critters,
and I would recommend using a footprint under each to protect the floor from
small punctures.  The Gossamer has a custom footprint which I use, but I use
only a 4 ml piece of plastic under the Cobra (both included in the weights
mentioned).  I also haven't had the opportunity to sleep in the Gossamer in
a truly heavy rain, so I don't know how well it performs under those
circumstances. I can imagine, however, that since the edges are closer to
the occupant in the Gossamer that any residual splashes of rain under the
rainfly might get a person somewhat damp.

To:            <orangebug74@yahoo.com>
Cc:            <at-l@backcountry.net>